Saturday, November 17, 2012

"Everything's not what you see/It's over again"

If you haven't seen the new movie Lincoln, you definitely should.  It is an absolute masterpiece, if I may say so.  I loved it.  I was just about the only young person in the theater - everyone else had gray hair.  I'm actually used to going to movies with a lot of old people because the movies I like happen to be the ones they're interested in as well.  Lincoln, The Young Victoria, The King's Speech - you know, I'm strange that way, but at least I'm learning new things, which is something I love to do.  People I know are like, "A science movie?  Who would want to see that?"  But I love watching "educational" movies.  Some people just don't understand.  I hope if you're reading this, you're one of those people who don't know many others who like what you do.

I also enjoy listening to the radio and watching ABC World News and interviews on YouTube.  It was through NPR that I heard Joe Queenan offer his opinions on libraries, bookstores, and book clubs.  I found it really funny.  He said something similar to: "Libraries are depressing because you know you can't read all the books" and "Book clubs.  They're just stupid."  Hilarious.

I have a really weird sense of humor, don't I?  My mom said I got it from her, since my dad is really tight about laughing at himself, but that's basically all I do, and everyone but my dad laughs at me (or, if not at me, about things I do and say).  Like the time I shut my finger in the window of my grandmother's car.  It was stupid, but I did it on purpose, actually.  I was seeing how closed the window could get before my finger couldn't fit anymore, and, believe me, I figured it out pretty quick once my finger got smushed.  I know "smushed" isn't a real word, but I'm going to use it anyway.

I say and do a lot of things without really thinking.  Once, when my family was driving through South Carolina, I asked, "Why are there so many South Carolina license plates?"  Huh.  I wonder why.  My brother insists that I need "professional help."  Pooh.  That's just crazy.  It's just my personality.  I can't fix it.  My personality gets on people's nerves a lot sometimes, like singing without really trying to hit all the notes, or singing in a chipmunk voice because I'm bored and can't find anything else to do.

Enough about me, sorry.  =)  (I'll try not to bore you.)

Running into walls
Throwing away laughter for tears
Sometimes that's all I think of.
It's not because I'm different
I take pride in what I do
I can use my voice to make people cry
But it's not something you would ever think to do,
Like running into walls.

--Emma Keynes


© 2012 Emma Keynes

No comments:

Post a Comment