Friday, November 16, 2012

"Keep calm and carry on..."

It's been a long while since I last posted, but my schoolwork has been so pressing that I've had no time.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention that right now I can barely talk because for the last hour, I sang

 There's a lovin' in your eyes all the way
If I listened to your lies would you say
I'm a man without conviction
I'm a man who doesn't know
How to sell a contradiction
You come and go, you come and go

Karma karma karma karma karma chameleon
You come and go, you come and go
Lovin' would be easy if your colors were like my dreams
Red gold and green, red gold and green

over and over and over and over and over again while tapping out the basic drum beat on my thighs for, literally, an hour...and at the top of my lungs.  I've realized that when I do that, when I try to talk normally, I find I'm really hoarse, but when I start singing again, I have no problems making it sound good.  Of course, my parents weren't too happy with hearing that part of the song repeated (my mother calls me a "broken record"), and tried to talk me out of it.  But I was too busy singing, and nothing but severe threat of punishment - like loss of all ways to listen to music - can make me quit doing what I love most, other than writing.  I stuck by "keep calm and carry on" and when I do that (I can be quite stubborn sometimes - I mean, a lot of the time) I hear nothing but my music.

I forgot to mention one particular comment that I received for Halloween: "Oh, hey, it's Boy George.  You look very feminine."  Don't think I didn't say "Thank you!"

Blood rains on desert winds
Wa
shing away the tears
That fill the eyes of those who hold their heavy hearts
Inside their fears and
dreams
And their memories
Swee
t, hard to forget
Forever lost
nor seen again
Re-lived inside our minds

-- Emma Keynes

© 2012 Emma Keynes

No comments:

Post a Comment