Sunday, November 4, 2012

"I'll be back in time/Gotta get back in time"

So, a bit about my obsessive personality: I go through phases of artists that I listen to for months on end before moving on to another.  This has been a pattern ever since I was old enough to like something enough to hear it again.  It started with the radio--me, at about a year old, beating on my car seat, screaming at my mom to play a song again--but it "officially began" (according to my mom) with musicals, the first being "My Fair Lady."  Since then it has branched out to include not just musicals, but any type of music.  Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Depeche Mode, The Police, "Pippin," Judy Garland, Paul Simon, Culture Club, Natalie Merchant, and Simon and Garfunkel are just a few.  (Just so you know, I count Paul Simon and Simon and Garfunkel as two different artists, or phases.)  My mother continues to say I sound like a broken record, and I think you can figure out what that means.

I hope I'm not the only one.  It just seems like it to me, since I don't know anyone else who's even slightly interested in what I am.  My parents aren't any better.  My mom said, "I don't know which is worse: listening to modern music or reliving the 80's."  Haha.  Funny.  I would have loved to have been born in the 50's or 60's so I could live all the music I love.

Oh well.  I guess I just have to be content with watching all the best artists die while the worst ones still live, and have decades left to.  I have the old music in my head so it won't disappear with them, and I'm sure many other people are doing the same--just NOT people my age, really, which is very unfortunate.

But, to my parents' credit, they were the ones who didn't listen to trashy music when I was little.  They listened to Alison Krauss, Johnny Cash, Simon and Garfunkel, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, and James Taylor.  I have to say, I can't stand Bob Dylan's voice, but some of his songs are pretty good.  It was also my seventh grade music teacher who introduced me to Depeche Mode, Michael Jackson, and Culture Club.  So I'll say thanks, even though my parents can't stand me singing the same songs over and over and over and over again.  :) 

So I'm trying to be more consistent about my posting, but it's obviously not working.  There are days when I just don't have the time, or can't get to a computer (or just don't feel like it), but I'm trying to make it all work out.

I sit around,
A black hat on my head,
Like a fedora,
Thinking.
What would it have been like?
What have I missed?
Sometimes I think I know,
Other times, it escapes me. 


--Emma Keynes

© 2012 Emma Keynes

No comments:

Post a Comment